Derby County 3 Rotherham United 2

Last updated : 30 October 2004 By Footymad Previewer

Rotherham finally ended their scoring drought but the result was depressingly familiar as Derby fought back to secure their first home victory since September.

But it was a far from convincing performance by George Burley's team that still looks suspect through the middle and a better side than Rotherham would not have allowed them a reprieve.

The visitors led by two goals after 35 minutes but their confidence is so fragile that once Derby reduced the arrears before half time, a home victory was always a possibility.

Rotherham are still without a league win all season and the pressure on manager Ronnie Moore will continue to build even though the fans remain firmly behind him.

Moore must have thought the tide was turning when Chris Swailes punished some awful defending to head in John Mullin's near post corner in the eighth minute.

That was the Millers' first goal in five games and they were celebrating a second when Derby's vulnerability at set pieces surfaced once more.

Again it was Mullin who delivered the free-kick in from the Derby left and the ball was swept past Lee Camp from 12 yards by Rob Scott.

It was another poor goal to give away but within three minutes Derby had a lifeline when Inigo Idiakez swung over a corner and Grzegorz Rasiak out-jumped his marker to plant a header into the top left corner.

The second half saw Derby go close to an equaliser before substitute Paul Peschisolido levelled in the 58th minute.

Idiakez robbed Scott on the halfway line and raced clear to curl a shot against the underside of the bar and Peschisolido squeezed the rebound in from a tight angle.

Rotherham responded with a succession of crosses into the Derby penalty area but the home side took the lead with a fine individual goal from Jamie Vincent in the 66th minute.

Vincent went past two challenges before placing a low left-foot shot across Mike Pollitt and inside the keeper's left-hand post.

Derby still looked far from comfortable although Rotherham did not create a clear chance despite having plenty of possession.

It was the home side who could have extended their lead with Peschisolido hitting a post in the 82nd minute and then lobbing over in the final minute of stoppage time.