Coventry City 6 Derby County 1

Last updated : 21 January 2006 By Footymad Previewer
Stern John and Gary McSheffrey netted twice for Coventry as history nearly repeated itself.

The Sky Blues, who defeated Derby 6-2 in the final match at Highfield Road, were again in goalscoring mood against their Midlands rivals.

But it all started so differently for John – who spent three months on loan at the Rams earlier this season – and the Sky Blues when they went behind after only 64 seconds.

A header back by Richard Shaw to keeper Marton Fulop was intercepted by Paul Peschisolido. The Canadian striker lobbed the keeper and the back-tracking Coventry centre-half Ady Williams inadvertently struck the ball into the corner of his own net.

But the home team quickly regrouped and equalised after five minutes.

A lovely through ball from skipper Michael Doyle landed at the feet of John and he sweetly turned to fire a firm shot from the penalty spot beyond Lee Camp.

Doyle maintained Coventry's attacking stance when his shot from 22 yards was deflected for a corner.

Debutant Dennis Wise – who had committed a foul after only eight seconds – was booked four minutes from the break for bringing down Derby's dangerman Seth Johnson.

Coventry had a much better start to the second half when John grabbed his second goal of the game in the 47th minute.

Dele Adebola went on a mazy run down the right and he pulled the ball across superbly for John to tap in from almost on the goal line.

Coventry stretched their lead further on the hour-mark following a lovely move. McSheffrey hit a raking pass for Adebola to chase and the powerful frontman's cross rebounded to Wise. His shot from the edge of the area took a deflection off Lewin Nyatanga and looped over Camp.

The Sky Blues stretched their lead when Adebola headed in Wise's corner from the left in the 62nd minute.

The home team went goal crazy when they were awarded a penalty in the 83rd minute.

Substitute Kevin Thornton released McSheffrey and he was brought down by Michael Johnson. McSheffrey refused to hand over penalty taking duties to John as he confidently converted the spot-kick.

McSheffrey added his second in stoppage time with a lovely curling shot to ensure that he and John finished with two goals apiece just like they did on that final game at Highfield Road.