Ipswich are expected to give a debut to recent signing Jimmy Bullard, who has been declared fit to play, while Andy Drury could also be involved.
Drury is likely to be named among the substitutes after the winger's move from Luton Town was completed in time for him to be available.
Derby are enduring a horrendous spell. As if losing their last three matches - and eight of their last 10 - was not bad enough for the Rams, they have just lost star performer Kris Commons to Celtic.
Commons' departure could hardly have come at a worse time for County boss Nigel Clough, whose team have failed to score in three consecutive league matches, lost in the FA Cup to non-League Crawley, and suffered two defeats against arch rivals Nottingham Forest - all in the space of a month.
They are in freefall and nobody understands the pressure Clough is under better than his predecessor Paul Jewell, who managed only seven league wins during a 50-match spell as Derby manager before leaving Pride Park just over two years ago.
Back in football having recently taken over at Ipswich, Jewell enjoyed his first win as Town boss when they beat Doncaster in their last league match. As well as piling more misery on his successor, a winning return to Pride Park for Jewell would take his new club level on points with his former one.
• Ipswich have won 29 and Derby 23 of the 70 previous matches between these clubs.
Have your say on this match
• Derby have not scored in three league games, going more than four-and-a-half- hours of Championship football without finding the net.
• Seven of County's 10 league wins this season have been against current bottom-seven clubs.
• Nigel Clough's side have lost all nine league games in which they were behind at half-time.
• Ipswich have picked up only one away point out of the last available 15.
• They have the worst first-half record in the Championship, having led at half-time in only five of their games this term.
• A debut for loan signing Jimmy Bullard would be his 300th league appearance.
• David Norris is in line for his 100th Ipswich start.
Source: BBC Sport